Gnosis Multisignature Wallet - Getting Started

I thought my noob questions would be better suited for the forums rather than cluttering up the Slack channel.

I’m looking at using the Gnosis Multisignature wallet and I had some questions that are probably due to some gaps in my Ethereum knowledge.

I’m using the Windows Desktop client (which is confusingly named ‘multisigweb Setup 1.0.0.exe’)

When setting up a wallet, I need to specify a node (either a ‘Remote Mainnet’, Remote Testnet, ‘Local node’ or a ‘Custom config’) as well as a Web3 provider. Available providers are ‘Ledger Wallet’, ‘Light Wallet’ and ‘Remote node’.

I was able to create a new multi-sig wallet using the Light Client (MetaMask) on Ropsten. This configuration allowed me to import an account via a keystore. I am unable to create a wallet however - I can define one, but trying to submit the contract errors out with ‘Error: transaction underpriced’.

Also, I am puzzled by one more thing. When I use the ‘Remote node’ Web3 provider, I can no longer choose an Account. And I can not ‘Create a new wallet’ anymore, only ‘Restore deployed wallet’. Does this convert an existing single-sig wallet created elsewhere?

Thanks,
Andy

Hey @ayang , thanks for getting in touch with us

I would ask you to attach a few screenshots so I can better understand the situation :slight_smile:
Also your windows version, and how do you usually store your ether

For clarification:

1. Website version - Has three options for key manager
  1. Dektop version - Has three options, a bit different
    • Ledger wallet, same as in the website version but must disable browser support in the ledger
    • Lightwallet: uses ethereum V3 keys, compatible with myetherwallet, metamask, etc
    • Remote node: same as website version

You should be able to create an account in the desktop version with Lightwallet option, what does it prompt to you when you select lightwallet?

Best,

Denis

Hi Denis,

(Sorry - I have to break this up - I’m only allowed one image per post)

I’m running the Desktop version. I have a local Geth node running with:

geth --testnet --rpc --rpcapi db,eth,net,web3,personal --cache=1024 --rpcport 8545 --rpcaddr 127.0.0.1 --rpccorsdomain "*"

I have Mist running as well to interact with the node. With Light Wallet, I have access to accounts:

With the Light Wallet, I can add references to existing accounts:

When I change the Web3 Provider to “Remote node”, Account info is no longer shown.

But then I had an ‘a-ha’ moment and changed the Ethereum node to ‘local’, which found the account that I defined earlier in Mist. But I don’t have the Accounts menu option on the top, so the Gnosis client seems to pick up the accounts I defined with the Light Client, but doesn’t let me specify new ones available on the local node.

Should I be able to tell the multisig wallet about accounts through a Remote node provider? Or does it always have be through the Light wallet?

Good morning @ayang , I’m setting up the same enviroment you used, will let you know if I get the same problem

Best,

Okay, I think the problem you have with Ropsten is because of the ropsten attack there was a few months ago, Ropsten forked into several chains, what we call “Remote Ropsten” is the infura node for ropsten that is on the revived chain https://github.com/ethereum/ropsten I have my hunch that your node is not on the revived chain.

Does your account have the last transactions here ? https://ropsten.etherscan.io/

@denisgranha - I think so. The latest block showing on etherscan is block 1660717 with hash 0x7f85c70e132316b88277218947ee44d9c61cdfedfb7569e827778eac01fa346c

In my local Geth node, my most recent full block is number=1660717 hash=7f85c7.fa346c

There’s some variance in my console where it’s importing new chain segments with higher block numbers than on etherscan and hashes, but that’s normal isn’t it? While it’s reaching consensus?

The local node is very new - only got spun up last week, so it should be current with the revived Ropsten.
Andy

it depends on which nodes you’ve been downloading the ethereum blocks, in order to know if you are in the same chain, this account https://ropsten.etherscan.io/address/0x29f4623e99e53c11eec79e73bef4ffa12c3a87ba should have balance 2ETH.

Do:

geth attach
web3.eth.getBalance("0x29f4623e99e53c11eec79e73bef4ffa12c3a87ba", function(e, balance) { console.log(balance.toNumber())})

if it returns 0, your node is on a different fork

I get 2ETH (shown in wei)

I’m not sure how the multisig works when you send out from that wallet. How do the other address owners authorize the transfers? Where do they do it?

1 Like

Hello. I’m looking for a multisignature ether wallet with ERC20 token support and looks like Gnosis multisig is a wallet I’m looking for. The only thing I doubt about is if it is safe to use Gnosis with Mist browser as there was a post from ethereum.org that Mist has vulnerability https://blog.ethereum.org/2017/12/15/security-alert-chromium-vulnerability-affecting-mist-browser-beta/. Do you have any thoughts about it? Is it safe to use Gnosis with Mist browser if not to visit any suspicious websites through Mist? Is there any another way of using Gnosis safely on desktop? I would be greatful a lot for help as I can’t find any information about the Mist issue except ethereum.org post.

hey @jack - indeed, there is an alternative standalone version for the multisig. Check out: https://wallet-website.gnosis.pm/

I’d like to know the answer to this as well.

Hello, @mkoeppelmann and thank you for the reply and link. I’d be grateful If you could also help us with the @zeallous’s question. Does the current release include all the available multisig functionality or it provides only some basic functionality so far?