README: GnosisDAO Governance Process

README: GnosisDAO Governance Process

GnosisDAO is a living entity that will evolve over time. This post provides an overview of the current GnosisDAO governance process.

To learn more about the vision of GnosisDAO, read the blog post Announcing GnosisDAO. If you have any questions about how to use GnosisDAO platforms, please take a look at the Governance Tutorial or reach out to the community via discord or post your question in the support category.

The Governance Process

1. Proposal Creation: Community members can draft proposals for allocating funds, changing the governance structure, or making decisions related to the operations of the organization.

2. Proposal Specification: Once the proposal is posted, community members can discuss and provide feedback on the proposal. This discussion is carried out in the forum.

3. Voting: After a first feedback cycle is consolidated, a forum poll can be created. This serves as a temperature check. Subsequently, the proposal moves to the snapshot phase where a formal GNO weighted vote is conducted. Note: The proposal can also move to phase 3 without community approval, however, it is likely to fail if the first temperature check was not successful or skipped. The snapshot vote passes if a majority votes YES AND the quorum of 75k YES votes is met.

4. Proposal Execution: If the proposal receives enough votes to pass, the attached DAO transactions can be permissionlessly triggered by anyone and will be executed.

5. Follow-up: The teams behind the proposal are required to give updates on the progress and impact of the proposal. This should be done via regularly posted updates.

Overall, the governance process of the Gnosis DAO is designed to be transparent, open to new contributors, and decentralized.

The Governance Process in detail

For a proposal to be accepted, it must successfully pass through three phases:

Phase 1-Creation

Community discusses and shapes the proposal.
Optional - However, we recommend going through phase 1 to get a temperature check on your proposition.

As a first step a post should be created on the Gnosis Forum in the Governance > GIP category. In order to understand which proposals qualify as a GIP please see section - What Proposals qualify as a GIP?
The GIP should give a detailed overview of the planned Gnosis Improvement Proposal (GIP). The following discussion should help to get a temperature check for the planned undertaking and help to finetune the proposal via the community feedback. This phase allows proposals to gather community insight for refinement before opening a formal poll.

Duration: Open-ended

Form: There is no formal requirement, however, we encourage you to use the following template. You can initiate a proposal in Phase 1 by posting your idea in the Governance category with the phase-1 tag. By adding the GIP subcategory your draft post will automatically be populated by a GIP template for you to fill in.

Passing Requirements: For proposals to successfully pass from Phase 1 to Phase 2, there is no formal requirement. However, if a Phase 1 proposal discussion fails to gain momentum from the community, it is unlikely to become a successful proposal.

Phase 2 - Specification

A proper Gnosis Improvement Proposal (GIP) should be generated and a forum poll is opened.

Duration: 7 days

During that period the community can vote on the proposed GIP.

• In favour of the proposal
  • Against the proposal

Form: Create a new topic in the Gnosis Forum in the Governance > GIP category.

By adding the GIP subcategory your draft post will automatically be populated by a GIP template for you to fill in. Please note that the template consists of different GIP types. Please choose the one that matches your proposal type and remove the other parts. You can move a proposal to Phase 2 by posting the GIP-# with the phase-2 tag.

The GIP template requires all proposals to fill applicable fields, such as Executive Summary, Specification, and Milestones. For funding requests higher than $50k or that run longer than 6 months, milestones need to be defined.

Passing Requirements: For proposals to pass from Phase 2 to Phase 3, we recommend getting a majority of ‘in favor’ votes for the poll. However, proposals may pass to phase 3 even if the feedback during phase 2 was mixed or negative.

Phase 3 - Consensus

The final step requires to get the quorum with an absolute majority for yes in the Gnosis snapshot space.

Duration: 7 days

Form: A GnosisDAO Snapshot poll must be created that contains the proposal text as well as a link to the GIP post on the Gnosis Forum, it must include the option ‘For’ , ‘Against’ and ‘Abstain’, and it must have a duration of at least 7 days. In order to be eligible to participate in the poll, community members must hold GNO.
Next , a link to the corresponding GnosisDAO Snapshot poll must be edited into the original GIP post.
You can move a proposal to Phase 3 by editing the GIP post from the previous phase to reflect the forum poll result that received a relative majority of votes and by updating the proposal’s tag to phase-3.

Passing Requirements: For proposals to be accepted in this final phase, there must be one outcome with a relative majority of GNO used for signaling on the GnosisDAO Snapshot poll accompanied by a ‘for’-voting quorum of a minimum of 4% of the circulating supply of GNO. If the relative majority of GNO used in signaling on the Snapshot poll indicates the result ‘Against’ or ‘Abstain’, the proposal will not be accepted and considered closed.

If you need any help during one of the phases please contact the Gnosis team via Discord or the Gnosis Forum.

Once a GIP passes it will be executed. Funds will be transferred, partnerships established or changes in the DAO will be implemented. For funding requests the payout will be performed according to the payment plan and/or the set milestone. Bigger proposals will have staggered payouts and payouts for maintenance proposals will be streamed.

All GIP authors are requested to give updates on the progress and impact of the GIP. The teams are required to update the community on a regular basis. Please see our update guidelines here.

What Proposals qualify as a GIP?

The proposal suggested to allocate a larger amount of GNO tokens to fund various initiatives that can help drive the growth and adoption of Gnosis Chain, including the following initiatives:

1. Venture Fund & Studio: Support and incubate projects through funding, governance participation and advisory.
  2. Grants Program: Fund public-goods research and open-source development.
  3. PR/Marketing: Promote awareness of Gnosis Chain and ecosystem projects.
  4. BD and Partnerships: Cultivate value-creation through collaborations and partnerships in the ecosystem.
  5. Developer Experience: Enhance the developer experience with better tooling, education and technical support.

Thus some proposals that were previously posted in the forum should now be addressed directly to the Gnosis Builders team.

What does that mean in detail?

Investments, partnerships, grants, and events proposals should be directed to the Gnosis Builders team. Please submit your applications here.

The funding decision of those proposals will be made by the Gnosis Builders team. However, rejected applicants have the chance to challenge the decision in the GnosisDAO forum, a contesting GIP should be clearly labeled as such.

All other proposals such as reward programs, reimbursements, service agreements, and meta topics are part of the GnosisDAO discussions and should be posted in the forum. They will undergo the governance process outlined above.

19 Likes

There are 2 ways to interpret this.
a) at least 10% of 1,384,226 = 138,422 GNO need to vote and within those there needs to be more yes than not votes
b) the yes votes need to reach this quorum AND more yes than no votes

From the text I see both interpretations possible but currently assume a) was meant. I would be though in favor of b) because otherwise a no) vote could result in the decision being made.
Imagine that yes is leading but overall the quorum has not been reached. Now - if you favour “no” it might be the better option to not vote at all. That seems like quite wired incentives and thus we should go for a) in my opinion.

7 Likes

Voting “no” should never increase a proposal’s ability to pass. Currently, both Compound and Uniswap use quorum as the minimum number of “yes” votes required to pass a proposal, I think this is the most reasonable interpretation.

8 Likes

It seems “No” voter (also “Yes” voter to) can move GNO from wallet before voting end and snapshot tool slashing his voting power. It is field for game with quorum metric.

5 Likes

My interpretation was b) as the uniswap process was used as an example, which is also assuming YES votes for reaching the quorum. As @monet-supply pointed out, a NO vote should never increase the ability of a proposal to pass. This should be rephrased in the README.

The other important number is the circulating amount of GNO itself. It states 1,384,226 GNO, which is actually not the correct amount but a small typo. The circulating supply should be 10M - the amount of GNO held in vesting contracts (8M for Gnosis DAO, 0.5M for Gnosis LTD), which leads to 1.5M (1,484,226 to be precise) circulating supply. This number should be updated here but also on coingecko and coinmarketcap.

6 Likes

The typo has been fixed. The correct circulating supply is 1,504,587 GNO.

While this interpretation more adequately addresses the disincentive of no voters to participate, it introduces a significantly difficult quorum to reach.

Part of this dynamic arises from Snapshot votes being public before the resolution of a poll. I believe the topic of creating outcome-blind polls has been taken up with the Snapshot team, so this topic may be better resolved in this manner. It would also address issues stemming from proposals being nearly decided and thereby making Gnosis Impact less… impactful.

5 Likes

I agree the quorum of 150k GNO Yes votes is difficult to reach. The first snapshot proposal had only 100k GNO used for voting. Maybe we should consider a proposal to lower the threshold to only 5% (75k GNO for YES)?

I also like the idea to have outcome-blind polls: It would allow having a general quorum of YES+NO votes together. I assume it will take quite some time until this is implemented.

4 Likes

Agree, the outcome-blind polls will likely take too much additional time.

I’d support a proposal of 4% or 5% circulating supply for yes, as 4% is used in Compound and Uniswap’s governance models.

4 Likes

Created a proposal:

5 Likes

Important

Recently CoinMarketCap adjusted the circulating GNO supply from 1.1M to the correct 1.5M GNO. Gnosis had previously highlighted to CoinMarketCap that the circulating supply was 1.5 M GNO and therefore their numbers incorrect. However, to conform to their own metrics, the correction was not made, since the missing 0.4 M GNO had never moved wallets since issuance. The tokens belong to early backers/team members of the project.

The circulating supply is relevant for the quorum of GnosisDAO (4% of circulating supply).

6 Likes

great and best , please share more news on Discord

1 Like

great! I agree with you. Voted!

1 Like

As a regular forum user, I could not update the proposal’s take to phase-3. Does this require a moderator? If yes, how can the proposers push the GIP forward? Any formal process?

The total supply has been reduced to 3M GNO.

1 Like

I see that your proposal has already been moved to phase-3: GIP-61: Shall GnosisDAO fund BootNode as a Core Contributor Team? - #10 by mgarciap

This is the formal guide: README: GnosisDAO Governance Process

That is correct. The total supply has been reduced to 3M GNO. This amount includes both the circulating and non-circulating supply of GNO.

2 Likes

this indeed is a nice article thanks for this i personally appreciate it. I agree the quorum of 150k GNO Yes votes is difficult to reach. The first snapshot proposal had only 100k GNO used for voting. I also like the idea to have outcome-blind polls: It would allow having a general quorum of YES+NO votes together. I assume it will take quite some time until this is implemented. Maybe we should consider a proposal to lower the threshold to only 5% (75k GNO for YES)?

1 Like