GIP-51: Should GnosisDAO fund the LabDAO project?

GIP-51: Should GnosisDAO fund the LabDAO project?

• Let’s do this!
  • Make no changes

0 voters

GIP: 51
title: Should GnosisDAO fund the LabDAO project? 
author: Niklas Rindtorff <niklas@labdao.com>
type: Funding
created: 2022-06-09

Simple Summary

LabDAO is an online community developing a set of tools for scientists to coordinate. These tools include:

1. An exchange for laboratory services
  2. An onboarding and team-formation process for scientists new to web3
  3. An endowment for funding scientific open-source developers and inventors using fees from the exchange

To support the development of the tools underlying LabDAO, we ask the GnosisDAO community for funding in return for future governance rights.

Abstract

LabDAO is an ImpactDAO of scientists and engineers that come together online to exchange scientific services and conduct research. At the center of LabDAO are three components:

1. Lab-exchange, a protocol for scientists to exchange laboratory services with each other (both dry-lab and wet-lab). A first version of the (contracts and client) is being developed.
  2. Lab-teams, an open toolbox for scientists to onboard into the decentralized science space and launch their own “web-lab”.
  3. Lab-fund, a set of mechanisms that will support scientific open-source developers and inventors through fees generated on the lab-exchange.

The launch team is currently focused on developing the lab-exchange and improving the onboarding experience for scientists and service providers. To support the team, we are asking for funding from GnosisDAO over 250000 USDC/DAI in return for 1M LAB tokens transferred after the project launch.

Motivation

Decentralized Science is a movement exploring new ways to 1) fund, 2) do and 3) distribute science using web3 tools. At LabDAO we focus on building infrastructure for scientists to come together and collaborate during the “doing” phase of a scientific project.

We believe that bringing together GnosisDAO and LabDAO would be mutually beneficial to the community. By supporting the LabDAO community in technical matters, such as Gnosis Chain deployment and Zodiac integration, the launch of LabDAO could be faciliated.

By deploying the lab-exchange on Gnosis Chain and sharing DAO tooling with scientists, we believe the adoption of robust web3 tools in general, and tools within the Gnosis ecosystem, in particular, can be accelerated.

To enable the LabDAO launch team to keep developing pre-launch, we propose a token swap in which GnosisDAO would transfer $250,000 worth of DAI/USDC to support the team. In return, we will transfer 1,000,000 LAB tokens to GnosisDAO upon project launch out of a total supply of 100M LAB tokens at launch.

The majority of the funding will go towards the development of the lab-exchange and lab-teams onboarding process.

More information about LabDAO can be found in a dedicated write-up at memo.labdao.xyz

Specification

• GnosisDAO invests $250,000 worth of DAI/USDC in return for 1,000,000 future LAB tokens out of a supply of 100,000,000 at the time of launch.
  • 20% of the purchased tokens will be made available to GnosisDAO within 30 days of the public token launch. Thereafter, the remaining 80% will be distributed linearly over three years.
  • Received funds will be managed within the DAO multisig at labdao.eth.
  • The signers consist of core LabDAO members. If interested, a representative from GnosisDAO can join the signatories.
  • labdao.eth will hold the minter role for LAB tokens.
  • A portion of the revenues, including but not limited to trading fees generated on the lab-exchange, will flow back to LabDAO.
  • A central version of the lab-exchange will be deployed on Gnosis Chain.

References

8 Likes

Very specific topic but I like the application field. Apparently, the team decided to skip GIP Phase 1 or at least I couldn’t find it. I’m no technical expert in this field but I’m curious about the setup.

When reading through the summary (tl,dr all other documents), there are a coupe of questions that crossed my mind. Appreciate your input on:

1. Who is the team behind LabDAO (people, background, experience, etc.)?
  2. Why isn’t it beneficial to extend the scope beyond the field of life science to create something like a global university where research results are shared, exchanged, build upon? Life science could a field of study within it.
  3. How are you planning to attract scientists in your field (Marketing Strategy) and get them onboarded to Gnosis Chain?
  4. What are the planned token economics for the LAB token?

Thanks in advance!

2 Likes

Hi @0xSined - thank you for your thoughtful questions!
We created a new post here for phase-2 after checking in with @john_szczepaniak. You can find the outdated version in the non-GIP section at Should GnosisDAO fund LabDAO? - #2 by Silk.

I am answering your questions below:

Who is the team behind LabDAO?

The launch team members have spent most of their time before LabDAO within academia, open science, and biotech. I am a core at VitaDAO and spun out LabDAO around the beginning of the year. We are also excited to have support from Molecule and Curve Labs on the DAO and mechanism design side.

Fulltime Launch Team (Chronological Order)

• Niklas Rindtorff - Physician, Computational Biologist, VitaDAO, ex Broad Institute & HMS
  • Rik Smith Unna - Bioinformatician, Hacker, ex Mozilla Science & University of Cambridge
  • Aakaash Meduri - Web3 developer, data scientist, chess master, ex Abbvie
  • Lily Hansen-Gillis - Community lead and UX Researcher, Surge Women
  • Eleanor Davies - Operations lead, ex OnDeck ODX & biotech investment advisory

Additional LabDAO Contributors (Alphabetical Order)

• 0xkydo - Tokenomics at Llama, ex traderjoexyz
  • Stanley Bishop - Head of data science at Drift Bio, DeepChem contributor
  • Theodor Beutel - Governance working group at VitaDAO, Political Scientist
  • Boris Dyakov - Graduate Student at University of Toronto
  • Jesse Evers - Software engineer, college dropout, in love with APIs and motorcycles
  • Arye Lipman - LabDAO genesis co-conspirator, MarsBio VC
  • Jocelynn Pearl - LabDAO genesis co-conspirator, Biotechnologist, founder of UltraRareBio
  • Jessica Sacher - Founder of PhageDirectory, Microbiologist
  • Tohrnii - Web3 developer, ex Merkle Labs
  • Todd White - Operations working group at VitaDAO
  • Hossam Zaki - Student at Brown University, ex Dept. of Biomedical Informatics at HMS
  • Jan Zheng - Co-Founder of PhageDirectory, Software engineer

Why do we focus on life sciences?

When I explain to friends what we are building, my single-sentence answer is “We are building a research institute that is completely online”. A research institute is a place where scientists form teams, use available tools and receive some intramural funding. With LabDAO we work on bringing all of the three aspects together.

Why start with life sciences? Currently, life scientists represent the largest group of advanced degree program graduates (when you sample 10 scientists, the odds are high -for better or for worse- the majority is working on a healthcare-related subject). In addition, the team is heavily leaning towards that direction.

Can LabDAO be a comprehensive global university? Yes, I think so - that is what I want it to become. We start with life sciences and computer science and then try to work towards other quantitative disciplines.

How are you planning to attract scientists in your field?

The key strategy is to build stuff that scientists want. Most of our colleagues are very web3-averse. They need to see something that is solving a problem for them: (1) Receiving funding in tokens is just the beginning - we think that (2) building tools to trade laboratory services with peers and (3) forming cross-institutional teams creates real value.

In terms of distribution, it’s best to spread the word across the native scientific communication channels:

• Preprints that describe the work we are doing
  • Scientific conferences
  • Campus visits
  • Science Twitter
  • Bioinformatics Mailing lists, Scientific software communities

What are the planned token economics?

The $LAB token is designed as a governance/ utility token for LabDAO and its lab-exchange. I am mentioning some potential uses below:

• members use $LAB to govern the research institute, its treasury, protocols, and how external funding flows into the ecosystem.
  • service providers stake $LAB tokens proportional to the value of transactions they are handling on the lab-exchange. If service providers would be caught defrauding peers or providing low-quality work, their stake in the community could be removed.
  • scientists stake $LAB tokens to secure the quality of their booked laboratory services. The more $LAB tokens are staked, the higher the value of the covered transaction could be.

You can read more on some of the topics I mentioned here at memo.labdao.xyz. Also, please don’t hesitate to contact me via DMs if there are further granular questions.

Thank you!

5 Likes

Thank you for your comprehensive feedback! Highly appreciated.

Team looks great and the investment is rather small, therefore I think it would be worth pursuing it. With the $Lab Token you are also planning your own subsequent funding which is great. If the project works it would be a great real life use-case that Gnosis Chain could build on.

Still a bit skeptical about the planned token economics and methods to attract fellow researches but let’s see whether it works. Best of luck!

3 Likes