GIP-56 : Should GnosisDAO fund student web3 education?

{Should GnosisDAO fund student web3 education?}

• Let’s do this!
  • Make no changes

0 voters

GIP: 56
author: Louis, Talam, Shaïna
type: Funding
created: 2022-06-30

Simple Summary

Kairos is a platform that provides an education for students to learn through certifications about the different aspects of the ecosystem FOR FREE.
There is no free education for students in the ecosystem yet, which should be a priority to work towards innovation and adoption.

Each blockchain or protocol provides education and ressources from three angles: the programming language of their company, a presentation of the ecosystem and how it works, and a training on the company’s marketing & entrepreneurship model.

We already have a student network gathered with over 3 000 students from universities such as Cambridge, Stanford, Dauphine and more.
We are always growing our network so if you are a student interested to learn about the ecosystem please reach out to contact@kairostudents.com

Abstract

In the ecosystem, it is challenging for companies to find competent and committed individuals to build and contribute to projects.
The Kairos team has spoken with several blockchain companies who have stated that they find suitable profiles for hire only months later, if ever.
This comes from the lack of democratization of blockchain and mainly the lack of education of the new generation on the topic, only 2% of the top universities offer courses on blockchain and they are rarely in-depth.

In parallel, the cheapest price on the market for a student to learn about blockchain is $4,000. This price is unacceptable for students who have to deal with a heavy workload in addition to their studies.
Besides, the courses are often unorganized and focused on the general and never go into the specific.

Motivation

This is where Kairos comes in, working with key players of the ecosystem to provide a free education.
Many investors are leaving the market due to current condition but many students are seeing this as an opportunity to learn and build.
But where do you begin with no knowledge? In this crypted ecosystem in which everything changes quickly through constant innovation, it’s hard to keep track.
I have asked myself the same question 4 years ago when no ressources existed and I have worked towards blockchain adoption and education ever since.

Kairos is also an opportunity to see beyond developers education. It is included in the three key topics but our team wanted to show that there is more to building than code and that you don’t need a dev background to become a key player of this ecosystem.
Therefore, we have decided to add courses and certifications about the ecosystem (How is Gnosis different from the other solutions? What are the main protocols built on Gnosis and how can you use them? How does governance operate on Gnosis) and marketing on that blockchain (Where can you find metrics about Gnosis ? What does it say about user behaviour? What are the leading projects and how do they operate? What is amount of $GNO stacked and what does it say about trust in Gnosis?).

Specification

• Each student will have to verify their student status by validating an email received on their university email account. They will then have access to a functional site containing the courses provided by the various partner organizations. These courses will be classified following several parameters such as their difficulty, the level required to pass them, the subject matter (development, marketing, project management, etc.).
    Students will then have to register to the different programs offered in order to follow their progress and know the attendance of each program.

• Once finished, students will have to provide a project proving their mastery of the subject in order to obtain their certifications in the form of an NFT or a document.
    The first 50 students will receive tokens of the partners sent by Kairos.
    The most innovative projects will be eligible for funding and support from Kairos and its partners, in order to provide maximum assistance and support to the brightest minds.

• Our student network is organized as a DAO, international, constantly growing and waiting for your courses and certifications. The DAO will allow students to choose how treasury is used, which topics to prioritize and which topics will get funding.

• GnosisDAO will provide $20,000.00 xDAI to Kairos, in exchange for making courses and certifications about Gnosis for students.

• This grant is needed to remain the spirit of Kairos being free for students and will be used for using the current ressources to make videos, courses and quizzes about Gnosis.

• The distribution is 50% of the budget being used for the courses and the platform, 25% of the grant to grow our student network and communicate about the partnership, 15% to support students projects and 10% for the team.

• We will bring visibility to Gnosis and enhance their support to education on our platform, on socials and on our student network.

Rationale

We are students ourselves, hence the initiative of providing a free education for students.
Working with Gnosis will allow student education about the ecosystem and certified students to build on Gnosis.
This is a win-win opportunity, let’s support student education and the next generation!

For more information about Kairos : DocSend

2 Likes

Education of students and especially pushing awareness of the possibilities of BC in general and especially GC would be worth funding ofc. But looking at your webpage and following the links I don’t see much about this, so I wonder which priority this have to you. Myself, left medical school many years ago and being a grandfather already, managed to educate myself about BC and GC a lot with freely available resources. Therefore I am interested what kind of education you will provide on top of these freely available resources. Can you point me to some links on your website or is this a new area for you?

edit: maybe I have looked the wrong place: https://kairosstudents.com/ isn’t yours? Do you have some other link for me?

1 Like

Hello! First of all, thank you for your feedback :slightly_smiling_face:

Having done the same self education myself a few years ago, I will have to agree with you on how you can find ressources easily everywhere. That being said, I believe the struggle is a bit different now.
Being educated about blockchain and seeing the ecosystem evolve these past years have made me able to understand these changes, but with so many ecosystems, protocols and notions, people are often confused about where to begin and which ressources are legit?
Add being a student on top of that and it’s easily a nightmare, students are motivated by the recent adoption but give up quickly on blockchain education.
Therefore, Kairos will be an open-classroom of blockchain, allowing them to pick their skills and courses (not dev only for once) and get a certification at the end.
This is actually quite personal but for example I have never seen any blockchain tutorial gathering all the protocols built on an ecosystem such as the explorer, swaps, defi protocols specifically on that ecosystem, ect…
I believe this angle is important on both sides (students vs blockchains/protocols) because once they are certified, they will have access to job offers from blockchains and protocols posted directly on Kairos. This is extra-motivation for a student, it’s free, it’s easy to use and you get something real and valuable out of it at the end.

For the website, you have the correct link with an extra S although we are currently changing the landing page. I will ask for another link redirecting to the previous website (three pages : landing, university partners and registration).
The Kairos team will be using the funding to establish the courses page, including videos, script and certifications on Gnosis.

I can also link the Linkedin profiles of the team :

https://www.linkedin.com/in/shaina-salmi/

https://www.linkedin.com/in/talamdiop

https://www.linkedin.com/in/louis-doidy

The three of us are the founders of the blockchain society of the University Paris-Dauphine, we are therefore familiar with educating students on that topic. It is actually because we’ve witnessed how complicated it was for students, even within a finance-oriented university, to find time and ressources that we launched Kairos.
We are working with professors of our university to also bring education on that topic to students.
As you can see, we are truly education oriented and hopefully a few students will be working on Gnosis thanks to Kairos one day.

If you have any question or would like to discuss it more, feel free to reach out to me on TG: @LordLdm or Twitter:@DonAltcoins.

Thanks for your reply, a link to your previous page or an example of prior work would be perfect :+1:.
That said I like to emphasize I like education very much but I am suspicious about ‘certificates’. Acquired too many in my life and can not get rid of the impression we are exaggerating this in many fields of life and especially work. It’s nearly impossible to judge from a certificate about the knowledge/skills of an applicant and most benefit from this ‘certificate-industry’ seems to go to the organizations/ppl that issue certificates.

2 Likes