• Make no changes

0 voters

GIP: 6
title: Deploy Gnosis Auction
author: auction_master
type: Meta
created: 2021-02-11

Update (19/02/2021)

According to GnosisDAO’s governance process I promote this proposal to the consensus phase (Phase 3).
Voting is available here
A link to the audit report for Gnosis Auction smart contracts was added to the Implementation section of this proposal.

Simple Summary

This GIP intends to answer the question: Should GnosisDAO deploy GnosisAuction?

Abstract

This is the phase-II continuation to Should GnosisDAO build an IDO specific Dapp?

GnosisAuction would build on the proven success with token sales that Gnosis Protocol (GP) v1 (Mesa) had. It will provide a sturdy mechanism that supports fair price finding in token sales. It will also aim to be modular enough to work in other scenarios where auctions are needed.

Motivation

Gnosis Protocol v1 was successful with multiple token sales, including some high profile ones such as mStable and API3. Nonetheless, the protocol was not developed with this specific use-case in mind. Additionally, after hitting the market, many users suggested multiple improvements.

Some of the suggested improvements included:

• Making the UX more simple
  • Reducing the number of transactions required to trade
  • Improve gas efficiency
  • Reduce attack vectors

Though these improvements are being addressed in the development of Gnosis Protocol v2 (GPv2), it still plans to be a DEX that is not aimed at token sales and other kinds of auctions. Thus, it is important to address this segment of the market that has proven demand.

GnosisAuction still takes some of the most important benefits from GPv1, out of which the following two stand out:

• Single closing price per auction, which is the fairest price-finding mechanism
  • MEV resistance, which prevents miners and frontrunners from extracting value

Finally, it is important to note that there is no general auction smart contract ready to use in the market. Some of the use-cases that the contract could also be used for include:

• Auctions to repay debt on shortfall events of lending protocols like AAVE
  • Liquidations
  • Token buy backs
  • Price discovery for all sorts of assets

Specification

GnosisAuction may be used as a tool by anyone hoping to auction off a predefined amount of tokens. Anyone can bid to buy these tokens by placing a buy-order with a specified limit price during the whole bidding time, subject to any potential customisations/restrictions placed by the auctioneer. At the end of the predefined auction time, the final price is calculated by the following method: The buy volumes from the highest bids are getting added up until this sum reaches the initial sell volume. The limit price of the bid that increases the overall buy volume to the initial sell volume is setting the uniform clearing price. All bids with a higher price will be settled and traded against the initial sell volume with the clearing price. All bids with a lower price will not be considered for the settlement and users will be able to withdraw their committed funds.

Gnosis auction will initially have a simple UI so buyers can place their bids. A draft of the interface can be seen below, which will aim to use the gnosis-auction.eth domain.

At first, auctioneers (sellers) will have to interact directly with the code in order to run an auction. Nonetheless, simple, yet comprehensive documentation will be written to make this easy for sellers to set up. Subject to legal considerations, eventually an auctioneer interface may be built.

Rationale

As stated above, GnosisAuction is a software tool to cater primarily to those hoping to conduct IDOs, which are currently an underserved market. GPv1 was not aimed at fulfilling this market, and GPv2 is geared towards being a DEX-aggregator/general purpose DEX.

Regarding other models considered, batch auctions were preferred over Dutch Auctions mainly because:

• Dutch Auctions have high activity near the end, high gas prices or other infrastructure issues could be fatal on a critical event as a token sale or shortfall event
  • DutchAuctions calculate their price based on blocktime, which makes it hard to predict
  • Dutch Auctions cause a gas war near the end of the auction, causing competition based on gas bidding instead of the limit price set buy buyers of the auction
  • On Dutch Auctions, bidders need to wait until the auction price reaches the maximum amount that they are willing to pay, or else they risk paying more than they wanted. With this implementation, users can set their limit price (maximum amount they are willing to pay) from the start, and never pay more than what they determine.

Implementation

The specific information on the contract can be followed up in this repository.
The audit report can be found here

4 Likes

I’m generally supportive of this proposal. I think it makes down to extend something that has some product market fit and was used in the past. I have 2 questions:

(1) I’m wondering, about the reasons that new contracts are used. Couldn’t GPv1 contracts be used? I know, they aren’t optimized for this specific use case, however they are audited and they seem to work. New contracts would add the overhead of developing them, including security audits. It’s a tradeoff, as always. In the Motivation you write:

Could you please elaborate on that a bit more on these, i.e. how many tx were required in GPv1 vs. EasyAuction, how much gas can be saved, and perhaps an example of an attack vector which can be removed without opening up a new one? I’m trying to understand the tradeoffs more.

(2) Is there a fee token involved? GPv1 had OWL as fee token. I’m wondering if there is a connection to the value/demand of GNO. Was there a final decision on this already?

4 Likes

I am also generally supportive of this proposal.

I would also very much like to know if there is a fee involved (see question from @tschubotz).

Also maybe a quick mention if there is any government logic involved (e.g. are there parameters on the IDO contracts that could be adjusted by some entity).

Another question is what are we exactly deploying and what is involved in the deployment process:

• Are the contracts already audited or is it part of this proposal to decide if we should get them audited?
  • Are we only talking about the contracts? What about the mentioned interface?

How is the deployment of the contracts going to happen? Does the DAO execute the deployment transaction or is there a designated deployer?

I am not 100% how detailed this should be defined here. This probably also depends on how the deployment process is structured.

1 Like

Regarding number of transactions required to trade, GPv1 required 5 tx’s to complete a single trade to go from token A in your wallet to token B. Flow would be something as follows:

Approve > Deposit > Place Order > Claim > Withdraw

This would often take more than 10 minutes and many times resulted in orders not being filled.

Regarding attack vectors, there are a few listed here: Gnosis Chain | Gnosis Chain

I believe auction_master is referring mainly to the fake-token utility vulnerability, where a user trades fake tokens with himself in order to create a high utility and trick the solver into matching the final leg of his fake token trades against a real token at a very favorable price for the attacker. This already happened in the API3 token sale.

I myself can’t asses exactly how much gas is saved by looking at the repo that was shared with the proposal. What I can tell is that bidders will only have to do one tx for bidding, and require no deposits (apart from the balance committed for that bid).

There also doesn’t seem to be any token specific fee at all on the shared repo (which I find to be good) + the fee seems yet to be set. I think a small fee for the DAO would be worth considering so the DAO can have an economic interest in deploying Gnosis Auction.

The main reason is that gp_v1 had some attack vectors, as mentioned by Rafa, and a batch could only contain 30 orders. But generally, auctions could have many more participants. On gp-v1 many participants were not getting the same price as others because they would be traded in a different batch.
The new contracts can settle an arbitrary amount of orders in one batch-auction.

No fee token is involved. The contracts could charge the auctioneer on a small fee for running the auction.

Only the fee parameter.

1 Like

The proposal has passed :dizzy:
Thanks for everyone who participated

https://snapshot.page/#/gnosis/proposal/QmUA5aYzD7nRdPQhqMTH3GWus4Bj62SGcSfjPEb6QcDdnM

The audits of the contracts are ready. :slight_smile: We did the first audit in Feb and a second audit on slightly modified code just finished today. :partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face:

1 Like

That’s really cool!
Let’s push this out as quickly as possible (:
I deployed the contracts, you can find all details here:

Compilation finished successfully
deploying "EasyAuction" (tx: 0xa7ad659a9762720bd86a30b49a3e139928cc2a27d0863ab78110e19d2bef8a51)...: deployed at 0x0b7fFc1f4AD541A4Ed16b40D8c37f0929158D101 with 5135197 gas
deploying "DepositAndPlaceOrder" (tx: 0x8a88034c1d1729c3a72e2d9d0f05056d5e4155f6f1368882e6f743f0fe3d6966)...: deployed at 0x10D15DEA67f7C95e2F9Fe4eCC245a8862b9B5B96 with 439841 gas
Done in 393.33s.ListOffChainManaged" (tx: 0x0de81ba1d40ca65e635198fbc57b0aac52950152e7ec6e4b1e27537b0cc6c9ef)...: deployed at 0x0F4648d997e486cE06577d6Ee2FecBcA84b834F4 with 383192 gas
2 Likes

I have also deployed the contracts on xDAI here:

deploying "EasyAuction" (tx: 0x5af5443ba9add113a42b0219ac8f398c383dc5a3684a221fd24c5655b8316931)...: deployed at 0x0b7fFc1f4AD541A4Ed16b40D8c37f0929158D101 with 5135197 gas
deploying "DepositAndPlaceOrder" (tx: 0x7d239d8ab763f396739d7988c2bd909851067bf94007b6321d2ef69602104ce6)...: deployed at 0x845AbED0734e39614FEC4245F3F3C88E2da98157 with 439874 gas
deploying "AllowListOffChainManaged" (tx: 0x9be0d0f472e3a41c1fb314624965fefbdeb0c5ebe3671c59191a794b68265f10)...: deployed at 0x0F4648d997e486cE06577d6Ee2FecBcA84b834F4 with 383192 gas
Done in 41.89s.
2 Likes

Attaching also the deployment files so they are available for everyone

Mainnet:
EasyAuction.json
DepositAndPlaceOrder.json
AllowListOffChainManaged.json

xDAI:
EasyAuction.json
DepositAndPlaceOrder.json
AllowListOffChainManaged.json

Polygon