Is Gnosis/xDAI a sidechain or independent L1?

Correct me if I’m wrong but it looks like xDAI is a sidechain.

How feasible would it be to move it to an independent Layer 1?

Polygon has already won the sidechain battle (lost the scaling wars, hence the pivot to 4 different ZK technologies). Does it make sense for us to back a sidechain here? Wouldn’t it make more sense to position xDAI as an independent EVM compatible L1 (competes with AVAX, FTM, NEAR, etc.) vs. MATIC? What are the pro/cons of this?

侧链啊,当然是,我这么认为的strong text

As far as I know, Gnosis want GC/xDai to be “Kusama for Ethereum”, not just “another sidechain”. It means Ethereum will have a front-runner, a real chain to test new features.
I think this has huge benefits for both GC/xDai and Ethereum. But most people don’t realize this yet I guess.
You can do some research about this yourself.

5 Likes

xDaiChain (now Gnosis Chain) is a fully independent Layer1 Blockchain that is also an Ethereum ecosystem sidechain for EVM compatible networks.

We are the canaries in the coal mine. Tremendous value in this. As Stefan said in one his interviews, we will stand on the shoulders of the Giant (Ethereum) and give back by being a testing ground.

It gives GBC a real use case rather than just being another EVM compatible blockchain. Like Polkadot’s canary network Kusama, GBC would be a place where developers could try out new code and features and run dapps in a network with substantial economic value.

The real world conditions and value would make GBC something more than just a testnet. Kovan, Ropsten, Rinkleby, and Goerli don’t have those.