Should GnosisDAO implement a reward distribution mechanism as a way to incentivize growth and build the community?

Apologies if this idea has already been discussed here. The closest post I found was # GIP-15: Governauts Rewards Systems Research Initiative by @akrtws-TE-Academy but it’s substantively different than this post.

I bought a NUC last year because I wanted to run my own ETH validators. When I ran into problems, the community was right there to help. High level and gentle support for someone who was new to the space. Now, I believe that the vast majority of them would’ve helped me without incentives but the incentives are a nice added bonus at the end of the month, as I have since learned. I think it’s less about the monetary value and more a reminder of the level of good we did during that month. Soon people place less weight on the monetary reward and more on the goodness aspect.

Perhaps we could implement a similar model with GnosisDAO? We can entertain monetary models like Coordinape or non-monetary models like Colony (reputation based), just to name a couple. We can discuss the merits of each option if this picks up. The token (if any) would be an addition to, not a replacement of, any current tokens.

• I am happy :grinning:
  • I am unhappy :upside_down_face:

0 voters

3 Likes

I support this and think that it would be a great way to create a sense of community ownership around running a validator. If you’d like to brainstorm together, @boonjue.eth on the various reward systems - as you mentioned - I’d be happy to create a channel in the GnosisDAO discord where we can do that with whoever else would like to join. I just completed the TE Academy research initiative that you referenced and this could be an exciting extension of that collective effort.

2 Likes

I don’t get how the reward distribution should work, maybe I have to follow the link you shared. But usually best support, as far as I experienced it to date, is an active community that likes to onboard ppl cause they are convinced this is of value for all. Paying for this will most likely not change this, cause participation out of your heart can’t be bought for money. An atmosphere where everyones opinion is welcome and major topics are discussed with the community seems most important to me.

1 Like

There are several options we can choose from. I am most familiar with the Avado reward system where members can “dish praise” to other members for providing valuable contributions. At the end of every month, members receive a portion of the monthly profits from Avado in xDai, which is sent directly to the contributor’s wallet address. The Avado telegram channel has seemingly grown exponentially since I joined and I think that is largely due to their incentive program. I think there is an inherent amount of pleasure in helping and the xDai is just a means to jump start this sort of “swarm” model (Swarmwise – The Tactical Manual To Changing The World. Chapter One. – Falkvinge on Liberty). Lots of Avado members help without receiving any praise and with no intention of receiving any compensation.

The fact of the matter is that it there is a time cost associated with providing high quality help/guidance/input. Members will be more inclined to contribute their time and knowledge if they know that, at the very least, they have a chance of receiving compensation. Providing compensation in this manner doesn’t take away from the wholesome aspect of the act, to the contrary, I think it’ll make our interactions more wholesome.

If we want the GnosisDAO to grow, I believe such a system should be implemented. It’s a fun way to encourage participation and for members to recognize the contributions of their peers.

1 Like

Yes, I would like to brainstorm with you and whoever else supports this proposal. Please let me know when the discord is set up. I’ll announce it to the Avado Gnosis Telegram group as well to get some more involvement.

Restricting the program to those running a GNO validator is a good idea. Avado released an NFT to verify those who’ve actually purchased a unit. This way the stakeholders are the ones that receive recognition/compensation. It also encourages members to join in securing the GNO Beacon Chain and disincentives non-stake holders from guiding the narrative and/or providing misinformation.

1 Like

Done! I created #gc-validator in the GnosisDAO discord. A channel dedicated to running a validator will provide a lot of utility. I look forward to chatting more about this. I really appreciate the thoughtfulness and intention here - thanks for posting. If you have any trouble accessing the channel or the server, please let me know.

2 Likes