Should GnosisDAO sponsor "Web3 El Musical Tour"? 🎵

Hello Gnosis community! :owl:
My name is Chuy, I’ve been a part of the xDai/Gnosis Chain community for almost 2 years now contributing to different DAOs (mainly TEC and 1Hive). Being based in Mexico City, I have also helped organize “The DAOist Mexico City” and the “Entrando al Espacio Cripto” meetup, a crypto/web3 onboarding event with over 500 attendees and an aftermovie coming soon :film_projector:
I’m very happy to share with you a proposal draft I’ve been working on for the last couple of months. I’ve always been passionate about how web3 and the independent cultural movements will eventually merge, and this experiment is something I’ve been very excited about for a long time. I look forward to your feedback and questions. Hopefully we can make this happen :slight_smile:

title: Should GnosisDAO sponsor "Web3 El Musical Tour"?
author: @chuygarcia.eth
type: Funding
created: 2022-06-03

Web3 el Musical: Onboarding Mexico to web3 with punk-rock and Gnosis Chain

The first phase of a long-term roadmap to evolve the music industry in Latin America

Proposal Overview

A group of musicians and web3 enthusiasts is coming together with a clear goal: introduce as many people in Mexico to web3 as possible, using live rock music shows as a bridge to education.

Some background: Mexico and centralization in entertainment

For the past several decades the entertainment industry has offered limited opportunities outside of Mexico City. Even though 100 million people live in other major cities within the vast mexican territory, centralization around opportunities has always been a factor that has kept music and film projects depending on bigger players.
Communities are natural incubators of cultural projects, however when something gets serious these communities have to say goodbye to their artists without ever seeing some of the value and sense of belonging back. We think this is a tragedy where web3 has huge potential for coming up with solutions.
But where do we start?

Some more background: Necromorfo & the mexican indie scene

Necromorfo is no stranger to this situation: a punk band from Sonora, Mexico that has had limited opportunities for producing and taking their music to other places, even though their fanbase has been growing considerably the past couple of years. There’s a big difference for Necromorfo, though: they have been onboarding their fanbase to web3 for around a year now. Enter “the mexican psych scene”. Most of these bands have almost no experience in web3, but after touring so many cities along the years, the community that they’ve been able to put together around their music is admirable and we want to include this in our project. We want to support this tour with other bands that fit this profile.

Why a tour?

Because we need to reach out to as many people as possible, as well as establish relationships with locals for following up with them, even empower their will to keep web3 stuff happening in their cities and towns. This will help us build up a hype on our way to Ethereum Mexico and the many activities surrounding it. What better to do it with established communities that already understand value in supporting each other?

What’s the plan?

We are convinced that cities close to Mexico City can be a great start, since we can have our base close by and help promote ETH Mexico a month before it happens. Traveling by land would be the option and designing routes that can favor efficient weekends. The cities in consideration for this project are:

• Pachuca, HGO
  • San Luis Potosi, SLP
  • Monterrey, NL
  • TorreĂłn, COH
  • Aguascalientes, AGS
  • Leon, GTO
  • Irapuato, GTO
  • Guadalajara, JAL
  • Morelia, MCH
  • Toluca, EMX
  • Puebla, PUE
  • Mexico City, MX
  • Queretaro, QRO
  • Xalapa, VER
  • Oaxaca, OAX

What is Necromorfo currently doing as prep work?

Necromorfo has toured the country twice in the last year, spreading the Satoshi gospel and opening these conversations among their fanbase. For the last year, Necromorfo has been also focused in getting their fans ready and have formalized their “Wednesday onboardings” weekly event where they onboard fans mostly from ages 16-30 to web3. They have put together promotional content for supporting onboardings promo and have been doing research for structuring and improving their Discord server for future plans in expanding the community. Other recent work are their next video and music releases.

Structuring an onboarding show

So the idea sounds great, but when it comes to actually selling a seamless experience there are some challenges we have to solve. First of all, early attendees won’t have to pay for the show as an incentive. We want to incorporate theatre elements to the experience, so that a good rock show can become a personal conversation where the educational content comes in. We won’t necessarily aim for on-site onboardings, but rather for people to show up already prepared for activities like POAP distributions and raffles. For people who want to learn, we want to have a walkthrough for a web3 onboarding that contemplates the following tools and use cases:

• Chainlist.org
  • Tip Party (by Moonshot Collective)
  • POAPs
  • Honeyswap swaps
  • Giveth donations
  • Agave lendings
  • Fiat & interchain bridges

Some numbers: how many people are engaging with this?

Our goal is to have an average 100 people per show in 15 mexican cities. As a realistic estimate we want to engage with at least 10% of attendees and encourage them to start their own onboarding circles for community follow-up in every city. So bottom line is: throughout the project we want to onboard at least 150 engaged people and enable them to start using web3 tools, even join a DAO or mint their own NFTs. One of our main KPI’s is to catalyse local meetups and gatherings by this 150 seed group for more people to exchange knowledge and experience on crypto and web3 and replicate a network effect with strong social bonds.

Is this show costing people?

Not early attendees! People that arrive to the venue on time for the web3 onboarding can stay for free plus enjoy the onboarding benefits. To help with touring expenses, people that attend just for the show have the option of paying $100 pesos (around $5 USD) as well as paying for merchandize in fiat.

How is value coming back to Gnosis Chain?

All of the different onboarding activities depend on the Gnosis Chain ecosystem, guiding new users through use cases that can test its speed and accessibility.
We have recently facilitated the implementation of Gnosis Chain in Suarmi, a mexican peso bridge that supports many different networks, so that new users will have a seamless experience interacting with fiat and Gnosis Chain.
We’re not only using Gnosis Chain as our onboarding chain, but we’re empowering newbies to join the GC ecosystem, the DAO chain itself, to get a better idea of where the road leads. This tour is just the beginning, Necromorfo and the community that surrounds the project are ambitious and committed to web3 beyond POAPs and tip parties:

NecroDAO

• Punk is disruptive by nature, so we came up with a DAO model that will empower communities and be a next step in the music industry. The following modules are part of the model:
    • Governance (1Hive Gardens framework):
      • Conviction Voting
      • Community Covenant
      • Dispute Protocol
      • Decision Voting
    • Cultural Build:
      • Elinor Ostrom’s 8 principles (Commons Stack framework)
    • Economic Engine (based in the TEC framework):
      • Augmented Bonding Curve
      • Secondary Markets
      • Arbitrage opportunities
      • POAP-based initial distribution (w/ vesting)
    • $NECRO as a social token:
      • Memberships
      • Rewards System
      • Co-ownership
      • Income platforms for token burn event

In the near future, we want cultural communities to accessibly replicate the Necromorfo model.

• The ultimate goal is to build a customizable framework for DAOs for cultural public goods. Music is just the initial excuse :slight_smile:

Where does Giveth come in?

The Giveth community is one of the best out there, and also an original validator for the xDai Chain. We wanna bring them in the best way possible: as an onboarding tool. Let’s give onboarding attendees some $GIV and let their first Gnosis Chain transactions be donations to their favorite Giveth campaigns! This is also a great way of empowering local social causes through the best donation platform ever.

When is this happening?

July-August 2022. This will support the promo of ETH Mexico and blockchain week in Mexico City in other cities across the country.

Feeling FOMO about the tour? It’s all documented!

We’re planning on filming everything! Filmmaker Pablo Celaya will join the trip and capture the many storylines an event like this can bring. The final product would be produced by Cachora Films and naturally be executive-produced by the parts that made this possible. We’re aiming to distribute this content freely after trying out a brief film festival submission circuit, but we’re open to other roadmaps.

How much do we need to fund this?

The numbers are around 20K USD.

We would be requesting:

• $15,000.00 USD From GnosisDAO.
  • An additional 3-5K from Giveth.
  • A donation from ETH Global.

You can do a deep dive of our budgeting in this document. These estimates are in mexican pesos and ARE NOT final. (1 USD = 20 MXN approximately)
You can find spendings per city, as well as gas and toll road estimates and a summary tab at the end. Venue and band fee expenses are still to be confirmed.

Important information regarding changes

This project is still a work in progress, which is why the dates and cities that are part of the tour, as well as budgeting exercises, are subject to changes and in constant optimization.
In case this proposal gains support from the community, we would advance to phase 2 with a confirmed and accurate logistics roadmap.

Conclusions

We’re stoked for this journey and its inevitable impact. We believe that this project can ignite deep changes in both art communities and the music industry, and not be limited only to Mexico. It is not often that cultural communities like ours come across opportunities to build something like this, and we’re honored to share these ideas and ambitions with you.

Oh of course! What would all of this look and sound like?

• This is a Necromorfo live show experience.
  • You can watch Necromorfo’s latest official video here
  • Listen to Necromorfo’s music here
  • And this is what the band looks like in a live session context

Thank you very much!

• Let’s do this!
  • I don’t like punk music

0 voters

10 Likes

I like the idea of the punk/crypto education tour but I am not so sure about the NecroDAO part. As you said punk is disruptive by nature and the formal aspects related to a DAO might not really fit this space🤔

2 Likes

Hey @refri thanks for sharing your POV! I agree, the NecroDAO will be a challenge when the time comes. Hopefully Ostrom can help a ton here! :brain:

An interesting idea is that, contrary to pop fans, who usually try to fit in and pretty much listen to anything their environment listens to, punk fans are free-minded and like to be taken in account. It’s a tough audience to make decisions and organize with, so much that most musicians avoid interacting with their audiences like this. This tour represents an opportunity for the NecroDAO to root and pioneer these relationships of radical fan empowerment.

I personally don’t see this early phase of artist-fan relationship experiments working anywhere but in punk. :smiling_imp:

3 Likes

Keeping in line with the ethos of Web3 transparency, I post our correspondence here so others may benefit from it.

I don’t think punk rock music is an optimal medium to gain users and I think the nexus between the musical tour and the potential benefits to Gnosis is tenuous. Maybe you guys can flush out the “How is value coming back to Gnosis Chain” section because it’s quite vague.

Just my two cents. I may very well be an outlier here and your proposal could pass phase 3.

2 Likes

My thoughts as well. This feels too tenuous for Gnosis funding

@boonjue.eth
If I’m reading this proposal correctly, I don’t think this really has much, if anything, to do with a specific genre of music, or even music at all. This is a stealth mechanism for introducing new users to the web3 world, and specifically Gnosis Chain, as their first entry point and likely permanent home. With the inclusion of Suarmi, these new users essentially never have to touch mainnet and can live out there entire web3 lives in bliss having never had to deal with the pain points that the rest of us have endured up to now. Oh, to never have had to understand gas fees! This is the opportunity we have as the previous generation, to be shepherds of the next group of human beings, saving them from the inefficiencies we were required to accept for the time. That time has passed, as long as we do our part to enable the next wave to never need to learn of it.

@chuygarcia.eth I think this proposal is amazing. Really and truly brilliant. You’ve clearly been working on this line of thinking for quite some time. I’ve read it twice and I still don’t think I’ve quite caught all the underlying complexity and clever thinking since you’ve woven this stealthy cover to spare the end users the unnecessary burdens and just allow them to live happily, and entirely, within the Gnosis Chain ecosystem. Again, amazing.

I also think that this could draw some great partnerships together, like something with stateful.art perhaps. They’re creating “Decentralized Artistic Organicities” as art/peace collectives for binding communities together based on musical/artistic identities. The synergies that could be achieved through these sorts of upper-level plans are simply staggering. :exploding_head: :clap: :raised_hands:

5 Likes

Fully supporting this proposal! :musical_note:

1 Like

Thank you very much for sharing these opinions @boonjue.eth & @Viszla

I totally understand that you find the benefits of this proposal vague! This thing we’re trying to do is experimental and very new!! Planning itself has been a challenge, since DAOs and their governance have their own processes and venues and promoters are used to completely different approaches and some of them even run away when we mention crypto.

However, we do believe that these kinds of experiments are the foundations of cryptoeconomic systems that can evolve into backing culture as a public good, reinventing and empowering independent creatives in revolutionary ways just as NFTs have been doing.

Onboarding fans is something that Necromorfo started doing with not much expectation, and that itself has inspired us to believe that we can build further around this idea. Here are the last couple of onboarding sessions in their Discord server, with many people participating :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Voicing my support for this proposal loud and clear! Onboarding folks through cultural events is one of the most effective ways to invite curiosity. I also want to voice support for any effort to bring diverse voices into the world of web3. Especially if those folks are from the global south. Thanks, Chuy for all of your hard work and best of luck!!!

6 Likes

The post has been edited from it’s initial publication so I can see where your first statement is coming from. I believe the issue with high gas fees on Mainnet will be solved in the near future with sharding, ZKR, etc. so I don’t think that should be Gnosis’s only value proposition.

Just to be clear – I do believe that this proposal will benefit Gnosis, my main concern is whether this is an efficient/effective means of doing so. Just like every other organization, Gnosis is a DAO with limited resources and therefore, we should seek to make optimal changes. We simply can’t fund every proposal that comes through because some benefit will be derived. Is the juice worth the squeeze? Can a higher net benefit be achieved by some other means? From a cost/benefit standpoint, I’m just not quite sure here.

I think some concrete data would help in this regard: demographic studies, user data in Latin America, musical preferences of age groups, who were targeting, etc. Then make the connection as to why this group of people, in this part of the world, with this type of music, using this medium is an optimal way for Gnosis to derive some benefit. Perhaps the data is lacking and this wouldn’t move the needle much. I don’t know.

I do appreciate the time and effort that went into this proposal. Just bear in mind that have the DAO’s interest at heart. This is an objective, non-personal, critique. It is a position that I don’t identify with, but currently a proponent of, and can be swayed with new information.

Best of luck!

3 Likes

Your asks here are ridiculous; you are challenging the proposer for concrete data which cannot exist until after the shows. The information provided in the proposal including number of events, Cities, attendees, use of funds, etc. is very detailed.

The ask for this project ($15K) is tiny compared to most that sweep through. What’s the problem? This problem resonates of ETH-Denver 2019 which was the first to use blockchain wallets and the xDai stable coin for real world commerce; this even seems to want to go a step further and help seed future groups and events.

This proposal is Real World blockchain Eco-system, that will encourage people to use THIS blockchain. That’s what the Community needs, not another fake DeFi project. I have no involvement in this project, although have supported and applauded Giveth for years. If Gnosis Chain GNO Holders are finally included in ballots I’ll be happy to vote yes and advocate other Community members to do so as well.

4 Likes

It seems reasonable to believe that more data points will move the needle. For example, comparing the possible overlap between web3 user demographics and the fan base demographics of Necromorfo, may persuade those on the fence to vote in favor of the proposal. The concern here is not the level of details in the proposal generally, but details regarding the optimality of the proposal and the nexus between the proposal and the benefits to GnosisDAO, specifically.

No doubt this project will encourage people to use Gnosis Chain but if that alone were the standard, all proposals would pass phase-3.

Thanks @boonjue.eth, in the phase-2 proposal I included some analytics on Necromorfo’s audience:

I’m convinced that cultural communities have a lot to offer, and approaching these to the Gnosis ecosystem shouldn’t underestimate what they will be capable of building or contributing with in the following months. I think expectations around numbers in this proposal are realistic and achievable for the size of this project, and is also an unprecedented way of giving value to the web3 user compared to limited web2 user numbers and how traditional marketing practices approach them.

2 Likes