GIP-105: Should GnosisDAO support v2 Gnosischa.in Explorer hosted by beaconcha.in?

GIP-105: Should GnosisDAO support v2 Gnosischa.in Explorer hosted by beaconcha.in?

Voting is live here Snapshot

• In Favour
  • Against
0 voters
GIP: 105
title: Should GnosisDAO support v2 Gnosischa.in Explorer hosted by beaconcha.in?
author: butta
type: Funding
created: 2024-06-19
duration:1 year
funding:$300,000

Category

Infrastructure projects

Executive Summary

As some of you have seen on X, beaconcha.in has launched a beta for the v2 explorer. It introduces several new features, including real-time monitoring of up to 100,000 validators, the ability to group validators, and options to share custom dashboards.

Our next steps are to rework the notification system, introduce an account dashboard for transactions, new APIs, new mobile App and more.

Due to these upcoming changes, we stopped contributing to the v1 explorer codebase a few months ago. We expect to fully migrate to the v2 explorer sometime next year. Because of this, we would love to have Gnosischain on our v2 open source explorer.

Voting in favor of this proposal will ensure a smooth transition from v1 to v2 for gnosischain.

Specification

One major criticism from the Gnosis community was the cap of 280 validators in the dashboard and app. This limit was due to technical constraints, not our unwillingness to increase it. Additionally, our old pricing did not differentiate between networks.

We have listened to your feedback and propose the following for the v2 explorer:

• Free users can monitor up to 20 validators, which matches the average number for most Gnosis users

• Subscribed users can monitor up to 100,000 validators.

• All features mentioned here: https://v2-beta-holesky.beaconcha.in/pricing will also be available for Gnosis.

• Premium plans will offer a significantly higher validator limit for Gnosis compared to Ethereum, integrated within the existing pricing tiers.
    For example, if Pricing Tier “Guppy” supports 100 Ethereum validators, it will support a higher number of Gnosis validators, may support up to 500.
    This means users will only need one subscription to increase their limits on Ethereum and gnosis.

The exact number for the Gnosis validator limit will be determined when we start integrating Gnosis.

Budget

$300,000 annually
60% in USD/USDC - $180k USDC/USDT
40% in GNO - $120k in GNO (2 Year lockup)
+one-time v2 integration fee $100,000
100% in USDC/USDT

Our address 0x9d4E94dB689Bc471E45b0a18B7BdA36FcCeC9c3b (beaconchain.eth)

Timeline, Implementations and Deliverable

Since gnosischa.in is already up and running, there are no milestones necessary for v1. (See GIP-74)

Voting in favor of this proposal will ensure a smooth transition from v1 to v2 for gnosischain and will cover the costs of v1-gnosischa.in for 1 year.

3 Likes

I am just in between. Right now it seems to me reasonable to price the GC validators 1/10 of the eth validators or give them 10x the validator numbers. And maybe a price per validator instead of large frames could be worthwhile to think about if you like get more payed accounts from GC validators?

1 Like

Hi refri!

I am not sure which number is “in between”, but you can find all v2 premium tiers here. Note that the validator amount for Gnosis will be higher for each tier. Comparing the premium tiers with those on v1, it will be significantly cheaper to monitor hundreds of Gnosis validators on v2.

I understand that from a user perspective, it makes sense to base pricing on the staking APR or token price, but from our perspective, the infra costs scale with the number of validators (or the data stored for each validator) on the network for consensus layer data. So, we will try to find a solution that works for both parties.

Note that v2 will also introduce a portfolio-like dashboard for EL data, so the party doesn’t stop here. :smile:

Introducing a new pricing model for Gnosis only is not possible at this point. Our pricing model works cross-chain, meaning if you buy one of the subscriptions, you get perks on all networks, which for most users means a significantly lower monthly subscription price. The same applies to API subscriptions.

I hope this answers your questions :saluting_face:

1 Like

I believe that gnosischa.in is important product for the diversity of explorers in our validator ecosystem. Thanks to the service gnosischa.in provide, validators can easily monitor their performance. since the product is developed by those from within the staking community, the needs of validators can be naturally identified and implemented. I am in favor of continuing this service.

2 Likes

1 Like

have posted it this way cause I always got this error when trying to upload the text.

1 Like

DMing you for support on this case

1 Like

Hi refri, thank you for the kind words.

We have a feature for that here: https://gnosischa.in/rewards , but right now, it only considers CL rewards. Will be fixed with v2 but it’s a low(er) priority task on our end

2 Likes

https://snapshot.org/#/gnosis.eth/proposal/0x54f2e2519c44ed728148dbe3dbef29c5c91d5ab8fdbade1c909b9a6d16bcdec5

3 Likes

tried it for 2023 with some of my validators but got definitively wrong results…unfortunatly;-)
grafik

most likely it catches the eth validators even though I am connected to Gnosischain?

I am also in favour to continue the service. We had a proposal last year, which stated 250k will be billed annually. Now this proposal suggests an increase to 300k plus an additional 100k integration cost to offer a new premium feature among other cool features.

In my view v2 is a continuation of the previous product. It should not require GnosisDAO to pay an integration fee again. I will vote in favour when this fee is removed.

1 Like

Hi @StefanGeorge ,

Thank you for your feedback.

You are right, v2 is a continuation of v1 but also a massive extension. It’s an entirely new codebase, allowing us to offer the features the community has requested (e.g., scaling to up to 100k validators) on the consensus layer side. V2 goes much further — it will also aggregate EVM-compatible networks, providing a seamless user experience. In Gnosis’ case, this means users no longer need to go to gnosischa.in but can simply go to beaconcha.in.

This new feature set will require additional work to adapt to the specifics of the Gnosis chain. Specifically, dashboards will need to handle shorter slot times for real-time features and implement special handling for Gnosis chain units.

Given these changes, we will also apply them in our mobile app, making the v1 integration obsolete.

Note that v1 integration doesn’t have the flexibility for these features, which is why we need to integrate everything from scratch and maintain a more scalable infrastructure.

To support the community, we will have Gnosis-specific pricing so that Gnosis users with hundreds of validators do not run into the same limits as premium users.

EDIT: After internal discussions, we decided to convert the $100k integration fee into an investment in the explorer company if this proposal passes. In other words, Gnosis would become an investor in beaconcha.in. We believe this would provide a good basis for a long-term partnership.

3 Likes

Thank you for offering to convert the $100k integration fee into an investment. I am now in favor of the proposal and am looking forward to a long-term partnership.

As this is purely improving the offer, no new vote is needed in case the proposal passes.

2 Likes

Today is the last day to vote for GIP 105. Please consider voting.

https://snapshot.org/#/gnosis.eth/proposal/0x54f2e2519c44ed728148dbe3dbef29c5c91d5ab8fdbade1c909b9a6d16bcdec5