We should come up with a set of guidelines, values, and goals as a backbone of the GnosisDAO, informing major decisions, giving direction and identity to the GnosisDAO, and allowing to create a mission for a community to rally behind. This thread should serve as an initial foundation for a future formal GIP to establish a manifest for the GnosisDAO.
Based on this comment by VirtuousCycle as well as discussions in GIP-1 and GIP-2, it already becomes evident, that the GnosisDAO requires an identity. A vision and mission, as well as values. A set of rules to guide discussions on (funding) decisions as well as allowing the GNO community to rally around a unified cause. Furthermore, a GnosisDAO manifest can achieve one of the most crucial levers when it comes to human coordination: focus.
Similar examples from other DAOs:
- MetaCartel Lore
- DXdao’s “The Index”
- 1hive community covenant
- If you know of other references, please share them in the thread so they can be added to the list
The proposed process to establish and maintain the GnosisDAO manifest:
- Use this thread to brainstorm initial ideas around the content and medium of a GnosisDAO manifest
- If possible, form a working group to create an initial draft or even multiple alternatives
- Open a GIP in Phase 2 in order to get further community feedback and refine the GnosisDAO manifest
- Formal voting on a GnosisDAO manifest (Phase 3 of the GIP process)
- If required, iterate on manifest over time through subsequent GIPs
At its inception, the GnosisDAO was equipped with some crucial assets:
- Effective control over 150k ETH
- Existing community of GNO holders as DAO participants, with a big share of the GNO distribution still to be decided on to grow the community further
- Gnosis as an established and reputable company in the Ethereum space to support initiatives by the GnosisDAO
- Foundational governance tools such as this forum, a Snapshot space and the Gnosis Impact prediction market plugin
Yet, the GnosisDAO was established without clearly defined goals. While there are some aspects of an initial identity of the GnosisDAO mentioned in the announcement post, such as an ambition to “successfully steward the Gnosis ecosystem through futarchy”, it is left to the GnosisDAO community to define this mission further such as:
- What constitutes the Gnosis ecosystem?
- What does success mean for the GnosisDAO?
- What role does futarchy have?
This thread was started with the intent to start discussions around these and more definitions. There can, of course, also be meta-discussion around whether a GnosisDAO manifest is required in the first place or if “manifest” is the best term to describe those sets of values and guidelines.
The initial post will be updated over time to reflect themes that might emerge in the discussion.